We get it. Your kid is going to lose their teeth anyway. Right now you’re thinking, what’s the point in taking them to see a dentist, much less on a routine basis?
And it’s a fair thought. You’re not alone in thinking it. Unfortunately, your child’s healthy smile doesn’t start after the tooth fairy visits. Their initial teeth are important to the health and development of you child as they hold a space for permanent teeth growing under the gums, not to mention helping them chew, eat, speak and smile! So seeing a kids’ dentist has a long-term payoff down the road.
Beyond physical health, it’s important to prepare your child for the rest of their lives. Setting healthy mouth-care habits at a young age, and fostering a positive attitude around visits to the dentist, lays the foundation for a lifetime of positive habits and experiences.
Now you know why taking your child to the dentist is important, but how do you pick the right kids’ dentist for your family and what things should you should seek? Here are some helpful tips!
Do Your Homework
Selecting a kids’ dentist is a very personal decision. You want to find somebody you can trust knows what they’re doing and who gives your child a positive experience while doing it because this is potentially the same person they’ll see for the rest of their life.
- Ask the people you trust like family, friends, neighbors or coworkers which dentist they see and if they provide care for children.
- Ensure your prospective dental offices receive positive ratings and reviews and are in a convenient location.
- Don’t get caught in the procedural weeds. Verify the office accept your dental plan.
- Are the dentists members of the American Dental Association or other reputable professional societies?
- What is the office’s policy and availability for emergency situations and are they equipped to handle the unexpected?
If those boxes are checked, you’ve found a strong candidate for a kids’ dentist that’s right for your family! But there is still more to consider.
Evaluate the Dental Office
Well done! You’ve plucked out a qualified and trusted dentist in your area. Now it’s time to see whether or not this is truly the best kids’ dentist for your family, and the office itself can leave nuggets of information to consider. You want a place that’s both warm and inviting to your child. Again, you want this to be a fun experience for your kid. Not a chore.
- Look for games, toys, books or other activities which are inviting to your child. Is there child-sized furniture or other amenities to suggest this office encourages children? Maybe cartoons or engaging, educational content on the televisions.
- Check to see if the dentist and office staff are friendly and interactive with your child. Do they seem comfortable communicating with your child or children of all ages (and sometimes behavior!), including patience and understanding of any preconceived fears you child may have about being in a doctor’s office setting.
- Notice if the services the dentist provides are catered toward children such as sunglasses to shield bright lights or toothbrushes with your kid’s favorite characters. Anything that makes the experience communicate fun!
Any and all of these characteristics are wonderful signs that you’ve done fantastic seeking out the right kids’ dentist for your family. Great job! Just a few more things to keep in mind and this dentist is likely the one for you.
Now that you know the kids’ dentist you’ve been scouting is qualified and convenient for your family and provides a comfortable, positive visiting experience for your child, it’s time to consider just a couple more factors afterward.
- Make sure to talk to your child and ask how they felt about the visit and the dentist. Did they enjoy the experience and feel at ease about the process? Was the dentist a personality your child connected with and wants to see again?
- Was your child seen promptly? Their health is important as is your time. Your dentist should care too!
- Look for gentle examination and care, but thorough from your kids’ dentist. There should be a balance of getting the job done right and ensuring your child’s comfortable.
- The dentist should answer all questions you have with concern and respect as well as offer you advice on the best dental care at home, causes and prevention of dental disease and any other topic important to a healthy smile.
You’ve done all the due diligence of a great parent when selecting your kids’ dentist. If you’re comfortable the dental office meets, or even exceeds, the criteria you scoped for then you’ve done it. Congratulations!
Finding the right kids’ dentist for your family has set the foundation for a healthy lifestyle for your children and nurtured a positive dental experience your kid can carry with them throughout adulthood. Every time you see them smile, take pride, as you should! Let it be a friendly reminder that you rock as a parent because you cared enough to make the right decision for the most important person in your life.
At Smile Designers in Longmont, we understand what you should look for in your kids’ dentist and would love the opportunity to prove we’re the right fit for your family and help create that beautiful, lifelong smile for your child. Contact us today!